Thursday, February 12, 2015

Blog in the Field

Once I graduate I plan on teaching math in a middle school. I found this awesome blog which gives some great ideas about teaching math in the classroom. The author of this blog goes so far in detail he or she even has down the the last minute of the class  period planned out on what that classroom will do before a test.

Not a lot of people enjoy math but this author and I seem to be on the same page. The author gets excited when he or she sees math on tv shows or movies! Showing students these clips or images can help them realize that math isn't just in our own classroom but also out in the world. Students sometimes think that math doesn't apply to them because they don't want to grow up and be a mathematician or a scientist or a construction worker, basically they think they will never use math ever again once they are done with school.

This blogger shows multiple ways about how math can be related to a students life. One example is cooking. The blogger brings in ingredients to bake a cake and then tells the students they must now try to describe how to make the cake without using numbers or any measuring utensils. I think this is a simple example of how math is used in our everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment